Skip to main content

Getting Kids To Eat Spinach


My kids are just about the pickiest eaters on the face of the Earth, but I have found a way to get them to eat spinach. That's right. I said spinach. That yucky, slimy, green stuff that my mom always had simmering in a pot on the stove. She would love to eat it just like that with some vinegar. Nasty. Well, when I finally grew up and had kids of my own, I realized that it's got some much needed vitamins for growing bodies. I knew there was no way they would eat it like my mom did, so I had to come up with something......duplicitous. I found a recipe in one of my cookbooks for manicotti. It had spinach in it, so I thought I'd try it. Of course, they asked what the green stuff was. Did I tell them the truth and said that it's spinach? Fat chance. I wasn't about to ruin everything! I totally lied straight to their faces. I said, "Spinach?! Are you kidding? That's nasty! These are just herbs." They ate every single bite and asked for seconds and sometimes thirds. Looking at my husband's face, I would have to bite back a giggle. He would say, "You're so bad." I know, but my kids are getting their spinach.


Here is a recipe that I've made my own:


1 box of manicotti- cook according to directions and then cool

Filling- 1 box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained, 1 16 oz. container of ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Combine cheeses and seasonings with a mixer, then stir in spinach.

Spray 8 x 10 glass pan with butter spray, then put a small amount of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the pan.

Fill up each manicotti with the filling and put in pan.

Cover with the rest of the spaghetti sauce.

Cover with aluminum foil and put in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Take off foil, put some more mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 5-10 more minutes.


So yummy! Check out more WFMW tips at Rocks In My Dryer.

Comments

Ellen said…
You can also sneak spinach into spaghetti. Just add a package of frozen spinach to the water while you are boiling the noodles. (the water will turn green, so don't let the kids see). Add some sauce to the noodles and spinach and the spinach become "herbs" in the sauce. I hate cooked spinach and love it this way. It does not taste "spinachy."

Ellen in Texas

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...