Skip to main content

The Perfect Mom

This morning, I was watching the news and they were talking about alpha moms and beta moms. They don't really call them beta moms, though. No. They call them slacker moms. It makes me want to sock them in the mouth, or throw something at the TV. Where do they get this crap? They are now comparing moms and seeing who does it all compared to those who....don't. I guess they are saying that alpha moms are supermoms and beta moms are, well, total bums. It started making me wonder what kind of mom I am. I ended up just feeling like horse dung. There is tremendous pressure from everywhere to be the perfect mom. The whole world is watching us. Society, friends, even family can expect wonders from us. Not only do we have to keep the kids clothed properly and well-fed, we have to educate them, give them enough physical activity, some even judge you if you let them watch TV. Add to that, keeping the house absolutely spotless, the yard perfect, dinner on the table, and all the while having a child inside you sucking the very life out of you. If I wanted to be the perfect mom, I should have stopped at just one or maybe two. Sometimes, I don't get my kids to the barber on time and their hair is in their eyes. There is always clutter. Our front yard is littered with weeds. Sometimes dinner is not on time. I am always on the lookout for tips on how to be a better mom. I look for ways to better myself and my life. I wonder how this is affecting my children. I look at them and realize that even though things aren't perfect, that I'm not perfect, they know they are loved. They are clothed, well-fed (as much as possible considering they are picky eaters), educated, physically active, and....happy. I may not look like I used to. Most of the time, I don't do my hair and put on makeup, but that doesn't matter. I may not be an alpha mom, but I am a mom who loves and is loved.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Peas in a pod, you and I. Do not fret, just remember the one "person" you need to please, and do not let todays society make you feel anyway. You are AWESOME.

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...