Skip to main content

Fried Eggs with Hot Sauce

This morning, I made fried eggs with hot sauce on top and toast on the side.

As I pulled out the hot sauce, Bashful warily asked, "What's that?" since it didn't really look promising. I said, "It's hot sauce. My grandpa used to make me eggs like this all the time."

I looked down at my growing son and realized how many years have passed by since Grandpa's death. I've had two more sons since then.

I have a picture of my grandpa holding Bashful when he was a baby. I remember him gently patting the baby's butt while holding him on his lap. He was sitting outside on his porch enjoying the beautiful West Virginia weather and Bashful was content to bask in his great-grandfather's attention and feel the warm breeze in his hair.

I also remember taking another picture. Grandpa was older then and this time it was Sleepy's turn to sit on Grandpa's lap. Bashful had grown tall and was standing next to Grandpa's chair. Grandpa looked very different in this picture. His body was much thinner and he looked frail sitting in that chair with a blanket over his legs.

Today, my mind runs back to the time when I was a young girl. Whenever we came to visit, my siblings and I looked forward to his boisterous greetings. My grandpa had a mischievous side to him. I get the expression "he's pulling your leg" from him. He loved gag gifts and April Fool's jokes.

He raised rabbits (which is every child's dream) and had the best dang garden I ever saw. I always wish that I had a green thumb like he did. The man could grow anything.

I remember the first time I had fried eggs with hot sauce. I had been watching him eat eggs like that for years and finally said yes when he asked if I wanted hot sauce on top.

They were delicious.

So many memories go through my mind as I run my fingers through my son's beautiful, blond hair. I wish that he could have known grandpa longer and known him like I did. I know that it's not possible until we are all together in Heaven, but until then, I can make him fried eggs with hot sauce and tell him stories about his great-grandfather.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...