Skip to main content

SUV Dreams

In 2004, we were blessed with a bright red, brand new minivan. I remember complaing to Doc that EVERYONE with kids had a minivan. Why couldn't we have one too? So, my husband did his duty and went out and got us our home away from home. It officially became a piece of crap when a gallon of milk spilled onto the floor of the front passenger seat. Of course, it was my fault. Since then, our van has been anointed with all sorts of fast food, toddler snacks, vomit, papers of all kinds, coffee cups, dog hair, puppy pee, spilled liquids, etc. Recently, our already beat up minivan was in an accident. The kind where it was crushed like a sandwich. The poor thing had to be driven carefully to the body shop and the boys and I waited for our rental. The rental place had just that morning promised me a large SUV. Who cares about global warming when you can drive around in THAT? As I do a little dance in my head thinking about having ample room for my brood and pretending that the SUV is actually ours, I look out the window and do a double take. I blink in denial. I slowly shake my head and say, "Noooooo! He promised me the SUV." In a tragic turn of events, the rental guy brought me another minivan. As we are driving home in the immaculate van, the boys exclaim how cool it was. I laugh and say, "That's only because you can see the floor." Now all I have to do is hope that the body shop totals our van and we get a new one.

Comments

Andrea said…
Ha, ha. Funny story.

Sorry about the accident. I'm assuming and thankful that everyone is okay. I take it your van was empty since it's the only one mentioned in the accident?
Dee said…
I was driving home from meeting Tess at Focus on the Family. I was minding my own business on I-25 when traffic came to a dead stop. I came to a full stop and then this guy slammed into me from behind and made my car hit the guy in front of me. All five boys were with me and Liam was screaming he was so scared. The boys were fine, but I was brain dead. No one called a cop and so it took a couple weeks for the other guys's insurance company to accept liability after the investigation. I didn't like the wait, but I'm glad everything worked out in the end. My stomach was in knots and I learned a lesson.
striving... said…
To bad it was not totalled enough to get ya' all a new car! I am just thankful all of you were okay.

Popular posts from this blog

Dignified Woman

They instructed me to make sure I have a full bladder on arriving for my ultrasound. Ha. I almost laughed in their faces. Pregnant me plus a full bladder equals a disaster. On my son's birthday back in March, I had to drive all the kids home afterward. I had drunk a lot of water and couldn't believe I had forgotten what happens to me when I drink too much water with no bathroom nearby when I'm pregnant. I counted the minutes till I got home all the while breaking the law and speeding trying to keep in mind not to drive too recklessly screaming at the poky people in front of me. It brought to mind the very first time I experienced a full bladder as a pregnant woman. It was my first baby and my husband was in the Air Force. So, when we had an ultrasound we went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. They told me to drink an astronomical amount of water before I came. I did so and then we started out for the half hour drive to the hospital. By the time we were on the

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th

To Date or Not To Date

Doc and I have actually been tweeking with the idea of going on a date. I know. Totally weird. Not the idea of doing something romantic. It's the idea that we actually might have the guts to dump our offspring on some unsuspecting person. This has always been a hard decision for us to make. I mean, we do watch the news and let's face it, we're paranoid. That's probably why we haven't been on a real date that didn't include scarfing down our food as fast as we can and running back home to see if it's still standing and no one is bleeding. Just the other day, I asked Doc, "So, are we going out for Chinese tonight?" I was crossing my fingers mentally, chewing on my lip. I so wanted to be irresponsible. We haven't been on a date in forever and I was craving Chinese like crazy. I suggested that our 13-year-old son get a chance to hold down the fort for a couple hours. I even turned on my sexy voice and said, "We'll have our cell phone with