Skip to main content

The Cottage

I love the sound of trees rustling in the breeze. I love the sound of waves lapping onto the beach. I love sand, lazy days, and corn on the cob. Working in the kitchen, I love hearing the sound of the oscillating fan and the feel of the cool breeze coming in from the window. I love seeing the shadow of the trees onto the walls in the bedrooms. The ticking and chiming of the clock and sitting in the rocking chair with my sweet ones are soothing to me. I've been visiting the family cottage up in Michigan since I was engaged to my husband. I fell in love with its charm then and I'm fascinated with the history of the place. My husband's grandfather and great-grandfather actually built it. It boggles my mind. When we are there, all our stress seems to melt away. We relax for the first time in a year with no worries to think about till we get home. Every year, it seems we leave the scorching heat of Colorado and come to the coolness and greenness of heaven. I lazed my days away in the hammock looking up at the tall trees above me. I could hear the boys laughing as they swam in the lake. The nights saw my sons fishing with their dad and grandpa and I basked in their joy of such a simple pastime. This place has been our retreat from the world. Things are changing and it will be sold someday. I will miss this little bit of heaven and pray there will be a new place that we can enjoy together. A place where we can make more memories of love and laughter, food and fun, mischief and mayhem.....for years to come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing the cottage with us! The girls and I have wonderful memories...especially the oldest who didn't mind the "worm" (otherwise known as the leach).

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...