Skip to main content

Sniffling Sisters

When my sister and I were living in the cute, little white house across the street from our high school, we were hormonal teenagers. We are only 19 months apart in age, but you wouldn't find such two very different personalities. As teenage girls go though, we both loved to laugh, cry, and be scared to death. The movie, My Life, was in the theaters and my sister wanted to see it badly. I hadn't even heard of it and wanted to see something else. She gave me a summary of it and said it was supposed to be sad. During our conversation, our father overheard us and warned my sister not to drag me to a movie that I didn't want to see. After much cajoling which is typical of my sister, she ended up convincing me to see it. The girl could have been a lawyer my mother once said. We got into my car and trooped to the theater very excited about getting out of the house and seeing a good movie. After the movie was over, we held our composure till we got to the car. We looked at each other and I can't remember who broke down first. We cried all the way home. I sniffed and got out of the car and went into the house. Our bedroom was upstairs beside the family room, therefore, I had to pass my father on the way. There he was sitting in the chair and asked if I liked the movie. I burst into tears and wailed, "That was the saddest movie I've ever seen!" As I continued bawling, he immediately lit into my sister who was still sniffling for insisting that I go with her and I had to assuage him that it was still a good movie and everything was alright. I think my father still had to learn a little something about teenage girls. They cry a lot and enjoy doing so. When the movie came out on video, we both cajoled our mother to see the movie. "You'll love it, Mom! You'll cry, too!" we said as if that was the best thing in the world to do. When the movie was over, I was in the kitchen. Mother came out of the living room to make a quick exit to the bathroom before anyone saw her. Her eyes were red and her face was streaming with tears. I slowly smiled at her and said, "It was good, huh?"

Comments

Unknown said…
Ahahaha!! Laugh my butt off. You chicks are too much. I can't help but to visualize you guys looking at each other waiting for the other to start crying first. I love you all, though. Funny stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...