Skip to main content

Grooming Gargoyles

Some say boys are much easier to raise.  I can see that.  Girls have that PMS thing going on once a month and who wants to deal with that?  Not me.  It's bad enough I have to deal with myself.  Plus, girls can be overly dramatic and cry a lot....wait.  Maybe they aren't too different from boys.  However, there is one thing that I probably wouldn't have to deal with if I had girls instead of boys.

That would be hygiene.

Being a girl myself, I know that girls like smelling nice.  We love to take baths and soak in sweet smelling bubbles and make our skin feel smooth.  No way are we going without brushing our teeth just in case our honey wants to steal a kiss.  Hair, makeup, deoderant...let's face it.  We are not going to face the day without looking good.

My boys are different.

They would wallow in their own filth and revel in it.  Big Mac Attack has finally gotten to the point where HH and I don't have to nag him to take a shower every day and groom himself.  Thank God for this because the kid is entering college in the fall.  Care Bear, on the other hand, fights us tooth and nail on this.  We often ask ourselves, "Who doesn't want to feel clean?  Doesn't he feel the film on his teeth and be grossed out?"  You would think our kids were raised by wolves.  The boy's hair usually looks like a rat's nest (he forbids a new haircut), and when I growl at him to brush his teeth and gargle, he growls back.  I am lucky if the boy actually obeys me.  Most often, he rolls out of bed in the morning and falls into the car when it's time to drive to school.  If he makes the horrific mistake of talking to anyone in the car, there is much spraying of the air freshener in his face, rolling down windows, and a very irate mother yelling, "Do us a favor and don't open your mouth!"

His younger brothers are relegated to brushing their teeth in my bathroom.  There is no trust that they will do this without supervision.  Too often, the boys don't make it to my bathroom to brush their teeth.  KC learned this the hard way one day.  My youngest has many good qualities, but occasionally he is given to whining.  The kind of wailing whine that grates on the nerves.  Today, he was making his own ramen noodles in the microwave.  When he was draining the water, he accidentally spilled the enter thing in the sink.  Thus began the wailing whine fest.  "Now I have to do it all agaaaaiiinnn!"  You would think the world had ended.  I am not the kind of mother that babies my boys.  In fact, some would think I am not a nice mom.  "Stop whining and just make another one!"

This episode reminded me of a time when he was in the family room watching TV with Stitch.  All of sudden, KC starts the wailing kind of crying.  I yell down the stairs, "What's wrong?"  I am thinking someone is bleeding.  He whines, "Stitch got in my face and breathed on me and his breath smells really baaaaad!"  Stitch was offended by this, but I just smirked and said, "Yeah, well, that's why you have to brush your teeth."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...