Skip to main content

The Sweater

As I am writing this post for my blog, all I want to do is go upstairs, climb into bed, and curl into a fetal position under the covers. I truly feel awful and I can only thank God for it. I know that sounds really weird considering I feel like throwing up. Eleven years ago, (gosh, was it that long ago?), I found out I was pregnant for the first time. I was elated. My long time dream of becoming a mother was about to happen. My own mother was also ecstatic and was absolutely certain it was a boy. She even had a baby blue knitted sweater waiting for me to put on my little baby. I felt really good for a pregnant woman. The only time I threw up was when I took those humongous pre-natal pills. Otherwise, I felt the same. When I was eleven weeks pregnant, I started spotting. I was finally able to see a doctor and she did some blood work. A few days later, she called me at home and told me I was going to have a miscarriage. The precious life inside me had already died four weeks before. The night I miscarried was a devastating experience for me. The physical pain was great, but the pain in my heart could not be assuaged. For a month, I laid in my bed feeling sorry for myself. I would add to my pain by going to the baby section of stores and silent tears would stream down my face as I looked at the baby clothes and toys. A month after my miscarriage, we went to visit my parents. My mother showed me the little sweater she had for the baby. There it was folded inside tissue paper like a promise waiting for me. I took the sweater home with me and soon I became pregnant again. I immediately knew this pregnancy was different because I was sick as a dog. For three months, I alternated between nausea and vomiting plus the devastating fatigue. We had an ultrasound and found out we had a boy and he was perfect. During the next months of waiting for my son to be born, I would take out the sweater my mother gave me. As I touched the soft yarn, I dreamed of the day I would be able to put it on my sweet baby boy. The day finally came. As my son was placed on my stomach, we looked into each other's eyes and were blissfully content. I realized then God's plan. I understand now why I had that miscarriage. Without it, I would not have my sweet Nathanael. I believe the baby I miscarried is waiting for me and I will meet him someday, but for now, God has given me babies to hold and love. I know now that God's will is perfect and even though I feel so sick and tired right now, I would feel this way over and over in order to hear that little voice say, "Thanks for making dinner, Mom!" When I'm puking into the toilet, I will rejoice because I get little arms wrapped around me squeezing me tight and little kisses on the cheek. When I'm lying in agony from headaches and nausea, I will thank God for my life and the life that is growing inside me. I was able to put that little blue sweater on my first baby and then his brothers. It's still waiting for this new baby, but, Mom, if it's a girl, maybe you can get a pink one?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will definitely make it a pink sweater if it's a girl, but you've done such a good job at giving birth to a ball team of your own! Of course a girl can do and be anything she desires too! Motherhood is the best calling God has given to women! I am blessed to have you as one of mine! Mom
striving... said…
So it was your turn to bring tears to my eyes! You are a very strong woman. God has blessed you abundantly.
Fiddledeedee said…
That was beautiful. Made me all teary it did. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage. I carried all of the emotions that you did. I believe that I will hold that baby in heaven some day. I went on to have 2 girls. And then my surprise/blessing, a boy.

God bless you during this time. It's so hard to be joyful when you're hurling saltines! :)
bigsis said…
you are a very strong writer. Not knowing you but being able to feel the emotions. when you share, your feelings come through, still fighting the lump in my throat..

Popular posts from this blog

Dignified Woman

They instructed me to make sure I have a full bladder on arriving for my ultrasound. Ha. I almost laughed in their faces. Pregnant me plus a full bladder equals a disaster. On my son's birthday back in March, I had to drive all the kids home afterward. I had drunk a lot of water and couldn't believe I had forgotten what happens to me when I drink too much water with no bathroom nearby when I'm pregnant. I counted the minutes till I got home all the while breaking the law and speeding trying to keep in mind not to drive too recklessly screaming at the poky people in front of me. It brought to mind the very first time I experienced a full bladder as a pregnant woman. It was my first baby and my husband was in the Air Force. So, when we had an ultrasound we went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. They told me to drink an astronomical amount of water before I came. I did so and then we started out for the half hour drive to the hospital. By the time we were on the

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th

Candy Stash

As I bite into a luscious Reese's peanut butter cup, I have one thought in my mind. Thank you, Lord, that none of my children have food allergies. Otherwise, I would not be able to steal some of the candy bars from their Halloween candy stash. I would normally consider myself a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I would rather eat roast and mashed potatoes than candy any day. There comes a time, though, in every woman's life when eating chocolate becomes a must. Yesterday, I grabbed the pumpkin full of candy, locked the bathroom door, filled the tub with hot water, and luxuriated in a chocolate fest. It had to be done. May I say that Snickers is the best candy bar ever? Of course, Reese's comes in a very close second. Peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other. I was a bit disappointed to see no Butterfinger bars at all. What's up with that? Aidan probably noticed the less than full pumpkin because he brought me an empty one and told me that we need