Skip to main content

Chocolate Cake With Caramel Icing

Washing the dishes with a white liquid soap one day, I get a whiff of the soap and immediately I think of her. On certain occasions, I will put a stick of spearmint gum in my mouth and instantly the smell and taste of the gum will bring her to my mind. The musky scent of my bath soap will trigger that certain part in my brain full of memories and again I think of her. She is my grandmother, my mother's mother. Whenever I watch Paula Deen on the food network, even though they don't live in the same state, she brings to mind my grandma's strong West Virginia twang. She is still there in those hills full of trees so thick it's hard to see your neighbor's house sometimes. She is a God-fearing woman who takes her faith very seriously. As a child, I would listen raptly to her many "miracle stories" as I call them. My favorite place to visit with her was the bathroom. She had a vanity with a mirror in there and a walk-in closet full of her clothes. She would often let me brush her hair and maybe put curlers in it. She always wears house slippers. It's her trademark. The one thing that I find hilarious about her is that she burps in public. Loud. Whenever she does it, she immediately follows it with, "Oh! Excuse me!" and then goes on about her business. It's kind of a running joke in our family. Even my husband was introduced to this quirk of hers very early on in our marriage. Me? I am not a burper. Well, not usually. Occasionally, a little peep will come out, but being me, I just can't bring myself to do it really loud. Except one night, I couldn't help it. Soda pop will do that, I guess. My husband was sitting on the floor watching TV and I was on the couch sipping my pop. Yes, that's right ya'll. I say pop. Soda is baking soda. Well, all of a sudden, the loudest burp you ever heard came out of me. My husband slowly turns his head and looks at me incredulously. He said, "Good one, Ethel!" I was surprised at myself, too. Someday, I will be able to cross her threshold again and have some of her famous chocolate cake with caramel icing. I will sit with her on her couch and talk about everything or just sit on her porch and look at her lovely garden. Then, we'll make more memories.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This does bring alot of memories back to me. Her chocolate cake with carmel icing is still my favorite. I love the blog, you are very good
Your cousin from WV
Dee said…
Thanks, cuz! I also love putting hot sauce on my fried eggs! So many memories.

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...