Skip to main content

A Little R & R

The year was 2002. I was very pregnant with Sleepy and Grumpy was still a toddler. Bashful had just finished pre-K. Our condo was up for sale and we were going through horrendous negotiations that brought me to tears on a regular basis. Doc told me to get out of town for some much needed R & R. So, I booked a flight to visit my parents.

I've always loved to fly even though I don't do it often. I often like to look around in the airports and wonder where everyone is going. Are they on a business trip? Are they visiting family? Are they on vacation? I love the busy-ness of it all. The flight attendants always draw my attention as well. Their made-up hair and makeup, the crisp, professional suits they wear, and the calm smiles they always had on their faces made me think I could be a flight attendant if I had a different life. To go all over the world was something I often daydreamed about until I realized that they probably only see the inside of the airports more often than not.

The boys and I found our seats on the plane with no problem and enjoyed the take-off very much. I kept them occupied throughout the flight and things were going smoothly for me considering I was tired from the pregnancy and just wanted to lay down.

As we were nearing our destination, the plane began its descent. It was not a smooth descent, but I have a strong constitution so it didn't bother me. Grumpy, on the other hand, threw up all over me. He threw up on himself, too. And the floor.

The nice flight attendant came over and gave me a barf bag. I opened it and was ready for anymore upchucking, but the damage was already done. With what napkins were available, I did my best to clean up Grumpy and myself before the plane reached the terminal. When it was our turn to get up and leave the plane, I looked at the flight attendant with an agonized uncertainty. She calmly told me not to worry about the floor. They would clean it good as new, I was promised. It made me think that maybe I didn't want to be a flight attendant after all since cleaning up strange kids' puke was part of the job.

We were greeted by my father and as he got a whiff from our general direction, I was quick to explain what happened. He was very understanding and we went straight for the baggage claim. We claimed my luggage and Grumpy was changed into fresh clothes. I, on the other hand, was used to the sight and smell of puke on me in the last few years and opted to change at my parent's house.

Needless to say, that was quite the flying experience. I have flown since then and I've realized that it isn't the most pleasant experience. I am usually juggling a little one about in my arms while trying to take my shoes off for inspections. Fun. I've also learned from my previous experience and have a barf bag handy. Just in case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dignified Woman

They instructed me to make sure I have a full bladder on arriving for my ultrasound. Ha. I almost laughed in their faces. Pregnant me plus a full bladder equals a disaster. On my son's birthday back in March, I had to drive all the kids home afterward. I had drunk a lot of water and couldn't believe I had forgotten what happens to me when I drink too much water with no bathroom nearby when I'm pregnant. I counted the minutes till I got home all the while breaking the law and speeding trying to keep in mind not to drive too recklessly screaming at the poky people in front of me. It brought to mind the very first time I experienced a full bladder as a pregnant woman. It was my first baby and my husband was in the Air Force. So, when we had an ultrasound we went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. They told me to drink an astronomical amount of water before I came. I did so and then we started out for the half hour drive to the hospital. By the time we were on the

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th

Candy Stash

As I bite into a luscious Reese's peanut butter cup, I have one thought in my mind. Thank you, Lord, that none of my children have food allergies. Otherwise, I would not be able to steal some of the candy bars from their Halloween candy stash. I would normally consider myself a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I would rather eat roast and mashed potatoes than candy any day. There comes a time, though, in every woman's life when eating chocolate becomes a must. Yesterday, I grabbed the pumpkin full of candy, locked the bathroom door, filled the tub with hot water, and luxuriated in a chocolate fest. It had to be done. May I say that Snickers is the best candy bar ever? Of course, Reese's comes in a very close second. Peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other. I was a bit disappointed to see no Butterfinger bars at all. What's up with that? Aidan probably noticed the less than full pumpkin because he brought me an empty one and told me that we need