Skip to main content

A Typical Phone Call

This is a typical phone conversation that I had with my mom recently:

Ring! Ring! "Hi, Mom! How are you and Dad doing?"

"We're doing fine, honey."

Screaming heard in the background.

"So, what are you guys going to do this weekend?"

Screaming continues in the background and gets louder.

"Well, we need to go to the grocery store...."

Screaming fills the whole house until the volume is unbearable.

"Mom, can you hold on a minute?" "Sure, honey."

I take the phone with me to see what in the world is going on. I look over the banister and there is Sleepy and Happy fighting over something as usual.

"What is going on?" I demand in my "don't mess with mommy" voice. Happy tearfully explains that Sleepy won't let him see out the window. There is Sleepy pushing Happy with all his might and Happy screaming his head off trying to see out the window.

Since I was on the phone at the time, I told Sleepy to go to his room and I would deal with it later.

Getting back on the phone, I realized Mom had heard the whole thing.

A couple weeks later, my brother calls. Holding Sneezy, I pick up the phone.

"Yo what up?" "Hi, Gug, how are you? Oh, hold on a sec."

"Bashful! Come get this dog and put her outside, please!"

"How are you doing?" I asked, but was interrupted.

"What is it, Happy?" Happy complains in an ear-splitting voice about something and getting that taken care of, I am finally able to talk to my brother again, but then the phone drops. Trying to keep the phone to your ear while picking up the other end and holding a wiggling three-month-old takes dexterity.

"Oh! Sorry about that, Gug. So, what's up?"

I am barely able to finish the conversation with him and then we hang up.

That's what most of my phone calls are like these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...