Skip to main content

By-Gone Days

I saw this meme at Fiddledeedee's and just had to join in. I think a lot about those high school days. Some of it is funny and some of it I would rather forget. So, here goes:

1. Who was your best friend? Mary Smucker. She was five feet tall and had brown hair down to her hips. I was envious of that hair. She was a good Christian girl and loved God. She was a great influence on me. She had a steady boyfriend whom she had been dating for 5,000 years. She was homeschooled right up to her freshman year in high school. I always thought it was weird to be homeschooled and that homeschool families were a little crazy. Now I homeschool my own kids. Go figure.

2. Did you play any sports? Ha. That's a laugh. One time, I joined the cross-country team. Their warm-up was jogging one mile. I didn't get half way before I'm gasping for my life. I realized that for a teenager I was desperately out of shape. Then came the day I found out that to pass PE class we had to run the mile. Talk about a let-down. I became determined not to make a fool out of myself. Every day, I would go next door to the church and run around the sanctuary. When I worked myself up to 30 laps, I was ready. When it came time to run the mile in PE, I did it. I was very proud of myself. Soon after that, I developed shin splints. Nobody told me you are supposed to stretch after you run, too. That was the end of my running days.

3. What kind of car did you drive? When I finally got my license at 17, I drove my dad's honkin' big blue boat of a car. I didn't care. I had wheels. Soon, I bought my first car for $400 and it was white. That's the best I can tell you. I probably didn't even know what make and model it was.

4. It's Friday night. Where were you? You can bet I was home. I had no life.

5. Were you a party animal? Total opposite.

6. Were you considered a flirt? Maybe. No one said it to my face as I recall. During my graduation open house, I had a boy sitting on each side of me while I opened my presents. One time during church, I had a boy sitting on each side of me as well. Maybe I was just friendly.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra, or choir? Total band geek. Concert band, marching band, and pep band you name it. Played the flute. One year, I played the cymbals in the marching band. I had a lot of fun that year. My senior year, I joined the choir. There were two choirs. The one with the really great singers and the one with the not-so-good ones. I was in the latter. I still got to join the musical for that year. Had a blast.

8. Were you a nerd? It's hard to say what I was. I didn't really fit into any category except band geek.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? I think my parents would have killed me and dumped me in the nearest river. I feared them more than the principal.

10. Can you sing the fight song? I don't even remember the melody. I have a terrible memory. I remember the drum roll, though.

11. Who was your favorite teacher? My teachers had names? I only remember faces with the subjects.

12. What was your school mascot? The who?

13. Did you go to the prom? One of my dad's many rules was that if we wanted to go to prom with someone he had to be a Christian boy. Finding a Christian boy in a public school was like finding a needle in a haystack. Especially if you wanted him to even know you were alive. So, no I didn't go. I did go to After Prom with one of my friends.

14. If you could go back, would you? Never. Ever. Not in a million years. Did I say never?

15. What do you remember most about graduation? A tremendous sense of relief.

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? I'd heard there was such a thing, but I was too much of a coward to do it.

17. Did you have a job your Senior year? What are the odds of working at the same place your parents do? At the age of 17, for Pete's sake? I took business classes my Junior and Senior years and got a job at Tricare Hospice as a medical transcriptionist. I love Hospice programs and think they are wonderful. My dad is a chaplain for a Hospice right now even. I worked there long enough to know, though, I could never be a medical transcriptionist for the rest of my life. I would become a little.....off.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch? There was a guy who had a crush on me and what do you know? He had a car. So, a few of my friends and I would hop into his car at lunchtime. He would roll down the windows and blast We Are the Champions by Queen. We would usually go to Wendy's close to the school.

19. Have you gained weight since then? Pleeeeaaaasse. Do we have to talk about weight when I'm pregnant with my fifth baby? When I was 18, my waist was a size 22". I know because I had to have a black skirt custom-made for me for concert band. Yeah. I was that little. We won't go into how that has changed.

20. What did you do after graduation? Well, I worked and dated a couple guys during the summer. Of course, I made it clear to them I was going away forever and they had best move on. August 24, just a few months later, I met my now husband. I was just 18, ya'll. Scary, huh?

21. What year did you graduate? Um....1993. Ok. So I'm old.

22. Who was your Senior prom date? No one. Just as well, though.

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion? Nope. I did say I would never go back. I meant figuratively and literally. Maybe I would like to see a few friends and see how they are doing, though.

Well, that was fun and now it's Tess's turn. I'll hound her into the ground until she does this meme. I want Andrea to do it, too, but she was one of those weird homeschool kids, so she might not be able to. Have a go at this meme if you want everyone.

Comments

Fiddledeedee said…
Very good answers! All right missy, you graduated in '93 and you're calling yourself OLD!!!!!!!! I have underwear older than you! :)
striving... said…
Alright, I finally did it. I hope you will still be my friend HeeHee. I was such a bad kid. Anyway, come read.

Popular posts from this blog

Dignified Woman

They instructed me to make sure I have a full bladder on arriving for my ultrasound. Ha. I almost laughed in their faces. Pregnant me plus a full bladder equals a disaster. On my son's birthday back in March, I had to drive all the kids home afterward. I had drunk a lot of water and couldn't believe I had forgotten what happens to me when I drink too much water with no bathroom nearby when I'm pregnant. I counted the minutes till I got home all the while breaking the law and speeding trying to keep in mind not to drive too recklessly screaming at the poky people in front of me. It brought to mind the very first time I experienced a full bladder as a pregnant woman. It was my first baby and my husband was in the Air Force. So, when we had an ultrasound we went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. They told me to drink an astronomical amount of water before I came. I did so and then we started out for the half hour drive to the hospital. By the time we were on the

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th

Candy Stash

As I bite into a luscious Reese's peanut butter cup, I have one thought in my mind. Thank you, Lord, that none of my children have food allergies. Otherwise, I would not be able to steal some of the candy bars from their Halloween candy stash. I would normally consider myself a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I would rather eat roast and mashed potatoes than candy any day. There comes a time, though, in every woman's life when eating chocolate becomes a must. Yesterday, I grabbed the pumpkin full of candy, locked the bathroom door, filled the tub with hot water, and luxuriated in a chocolate fest. It had to be done. May I say that Snickers is the best candy bar ever? Of course, Reese's comes in a very close second. Peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other. I was a bit disappointed to see no Butterfinger bars at all. What's up with that? Aidan probably noticed the less than full pumpkin because he brought me an empty one and told me that we need