Skip to main content

For Keeps

Today, I took my son, Bashful, to his old school in order to take a standardized test in accordance with state law. A few of his friends were there as well and I left him there knowing he was happy and content in his environment.

As I was leaving, I noticed a woman that I was aquainted with standing in the doorway of one of the classrooms. Her little girl had gone to this school with Bashful and when her daughter greeted me, I moved closer to say hello.

Before I reached her, she scooped down to pick up a little bundle. As she stood up, I looked into the blanket in her arms and saw a beautiful, little baby boy. His tiny face was scrunched up in annoyance and I chuckled at the frown on his forehead.

I reached out and ran my finger over his hair and smooth cheek and exclaimed softly, "He's beautiful!" "He's a new one," I added. She expressed her thanks and by the gentle smile and loving look on her face, I could tell she was proud of this sweet baby and that he had wiggled his way into her heart.

I looked up at her and with hopeful gentleness I asked, "Is this one for keeps?" She looked at me with one part apprehension and one part hope. "I think so," she said. "She has already lost two of her other children."

I looked down at this precious little life and she added, "I got him when he was two days old." I felt my heart twist for this good woman. I barely know her and yet I keenly feel her longing.

I gave the baby one last touch to the head and said goodbye. I drove home thinking about this woman and thought of her all day.

My own baby is five months old now. He is much changed since he was a newborn. He is bright-eyed and smiley. He coos and plays with his toes. Everything goes in his mouth and he laughs at his brothers' antics.

From the minute he was conceived, he was mine and I loved him. When he was born, I reveled in the features of his face and was immediately consumed with love for him. When he looks at me, he recognizes me. He knows who I am and he smiles because he knows he is loved.

As I look at my own precious baby, I wonder what it is like for those women who love their foster babies only to have them taken from them. What is it like for them when their babies see their foster mother's face and want to be forever held by them only to be taken into a stranger's arms?

It grieves me.

I know how much this precious woman already fiercly loves this little one whom she has taken care of. She has been his mother since he was two days old and even though he is still very young, she loves him as if he came from her own body. I know it because I would feel the same way.

As I came by this afternoon to pick up Bashful and take him home, I saw her holding her foster baby closely and saw myself a few months ago with my own new baby. I constantly had him in my arms as if I couldn't bear to be apart from him.

Today, as I look into my sweet, little love's face, he brightens up and smiles at me. He begins to coo and his whole body comes alive with wiggles and squirms. I pick him up and hold him close. I pray that this woman will someday know the same joy that I have.

I pray he is for keeps.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a beautiful story, Dee:)

~Dani

Popular posts from this blog

Dignified Woman

They instructed me to make sure I have a full bladder on arriving for my ultrasound. Ha. I almost laughed in their faces. Pregnant me plus a full bladder equals a disaster. On my son's birthday back in March, I had to drive all the kids home afterward. I had drunk a lot of water and couldn't believe I had forgotten what happens to me when I drink too much water with no bathroom nearby when I'm pregnant. I counted the minutes till I got home all the while breaking the law and speeding trying to keep in mind not to drive too recklessly screaming at the poky people in front of me. It brought to mind the very first time I experienced a full bladder as a pregnant woman. It was my first baby and my husband was in the Air Force. So, when we had an ultrasound we went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. They told me to drink an astronomical amount of water before I came. I did so and then we started out for the half hour drive to the hospital. By the time we were on the

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th

Candy Stash

As I bite into a luscious Reese's peanut butter cup, I have one thought in my mind. Thank you, Lord, that none of my children have food allergies. Otherwise, I would not be able to steal some of the candy bars from their Halloween candy stash. I would normally consider myself a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I would rather eat roast and mashed potatoes than candy any day. There comes a time, though, in every woman's life when eating chocolate becomes a must. Yesterday, I grabbed the pumpkin full of candy, locked the bathroom door, filled the tub with hot water, and luxuriated in a chocolate fest. It had to be done. May I say that Snickers is the best candy bar ever? Of course, Reese's comes in a very close second. Peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other. I was a bit disappointed to see no Butterfinger bars at all. What's up with that? Aidan probably noticed the less than full pumpkin because he brought me an empty one and told me that we need