Skip to main content

Arachnophobia

I've never seen the movie Arachnophobia and I never plan to. My husband saw it before we met and he was never the same after that. When we were newlyweds living in a small apartment in Florida, I came to understand my husband's aversion to spiders when he found one on the ceiling above our bed. I was in the kitchen when I heard him yell. I run into the bedroom thinking, "What in the world?" His reaction seemed funny to me since he had a broom in his hands ready to do murder. It was just a spider, for Pete's sake. He asked me if I had ever seen the movie. I said, "Of course not." Four babies later, we end up battling another spider together. I'm being lazy as usual during my last trimester and I'm on the couch when I hear the boys yelling, "There's a tarantula!" over and over again. I turn to see what is going on and see Nat and Justin hovering on the stairs. Aidan is walking around looking for it and Caleb is no where to be seen. I gradually get my bulky self off the couch to waddle over to the stairs looking for whatever it is they think is a tarantula. Nat points to the floor near the bathroom and I finally find it. I squint at it and scoff, "That's not a real spider" and then it moved. It was one of those thin, brown spiders and it was big. Since I'm not one to scream like a total ditz, I yelled for my husband instead. I said, "You're the man of the house. Get up here and do your duty!" I looked down the stairs and there he was peeking around the corner with dread on his face. He came upstairs and had the same scoffing attitude I did of "yeah, right. Sure there's a spider." His expression turned from disbelief to shock when he got a good look at it. He asked, "Where's the spider spray?" I told him where to find it and told Nat to get one of daddy's shoes. Meanwhile, I'm trying to kill it with a cup and following it into the bathroom and out again. Husband stands 100 feet away from the thing and starts spraying. That just makes the spider move toward the couch. No way was that spider going to find a place to hide, so my husband grabs the couch and with one powerful move of his biceps he lifts the couch and growls, "Kill it!" in warrior-like fashion. I grab the shoe from Nat and slam it on top of the spider and I twist the shoe to make sure it had a horrible death. We both breath a sigh of relief and tell the boys the coast is clear. Two nights later, I'm in a dreamless sleep when I am awoken by my oldest son. "Mommy, there's a tarantula in my room." I sigh, rub his arm, and tell him to get in bed with Justin. Of course, I am unable to go back to sleep right away thinking of a certain spider crawling around my house. The next morning, my son tells me he was awake when he looked down beside his bed and saw what he thought was one of his stuffed animals. He reached down to grab it when it moved. He said it was big, black, and hairy. My son and his imagination will probably not step foot in his bedroom for the next year. My husband did some research that day since we wanted to make sure it wasn't a brown recluse that we saw. There is at least one good thing about living in Southern Colorado. Brown recluses are very rare here. Hoo-aw! Now I can sleep.

Comments

striving... said…
My stepbrothers mother got bit by a brown recluse once. The only part of the story I remember is he would say she got bit by a "blue spruce." Hee, hee. I am glad you and your hubby defeated that enemy lurking around your home.
eileen~ said…
Dee,
I don't want to be the party pooper but I actually did have a tarantula on my porch last year and I sprayed that sucker for ten minutes with my bug spray. Ohhh, it was awful, but he died.

Be sure and share that with Andy, won't you? Ha Ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Dignified Woman

They instructed me to make sure I have a full bladder on arriving for my ultrasound. Ha. I almost laughed in their faces. Pregnant me plus a full bladder equals a disaster. On my son's birthday back in March, I had to drive all the kids home afterward. I had drunk a lot of water and couldn't believe I had forgotten what happens to me when I drink too much water with no bathroom nearby when I'm pregnant. I counted the minutes till I got home all the while breaking the law and speeding trying to keep in mind not to drive too recklessly screaming at the poky people in front of me. It brought to mind the very first time I experienced a full bladder as a pregnant woman. It was my first baby and my husband was in the Air Force. So, when we had an ultrasound we went to the Academy in Colorado Springs. They told me to drink an astronomical amount of water before I came. I did so and then we started out for the half hour drive to the hospital. By the time we were on the

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th

Candy Stash

As I bite into a luscious Reese's peanut butter cup, I have one thought in my mind. Thank you, Lord, that none of my children have food allergies. Otherwise, I would not be able to steal some of the candy bars from their Halloween candy stash. I would normally consider myself a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I would rather eat roast and mashed potatoes than candy any day. There comes a time, though, in every woman's life when eating chocolate becomes a must. Yesterday, I grabbed the pumpkin full of candy, locked the bathroom door, filled the tub with hot water, and luxuriated in a chocolate fest. It had to be done. May I say that Snickers is the best candy bar ever? Of course, Reese's comes in a very close second. Peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other. I was a bit disappointed to see no Butterfinger bars at all. What's up with that? Aidan probably noticed the less than full pumpkin because he brought me an empty one and told me that we need