Skip to main content

The Devil Made Me Do It

My husband was going to be ordained, so I felt the need to pamper myself a little. After last Thursday, I felt a great need to do so. On Saturday, I informed my husband of the intention of getting a manicure. We did some haggling over the price of manicures and when he realized I wasn't going to bankrupt him, he gladly told me to take off. I got the directions to the nail center and grabbed my purse. As I was walking out the door, I looked back at him and said, "I think I might get a pedicure, too." Running out the door as fast as possible, I could hear his pathetic wail and giggled. I wasn't sure I was going to get a pedicure for sure until I got there. There he was standing behind the counter......the devil in the form of a Korean man. I told him I wanted to get a manicure. He took one look at me and asked, "Would you like a pedicure, too?" I turned to look at the price list, but the dang thing blurred in front of my eyes. I turned to look at him. His eyebrows were pointy and he had that evil smile on his face. "Yeah, you get a pedicure, too, ey?" he said. I looked over at the chairs ready and waiting for my feet to be enveloped by the warm, bubbly whirlpool bath. I remembered the first time I got a pedicure for my sister's wedding last November. I swallowed the lump in my throat and in a little, squeaky voice whispered, "Yes, please." I told myself this would be the only time I would do this for the year anyway. I made myself feel better by thinking about all the other women who get regular manicures and pedicures. I still came out of the nail center feeling as if I got away with something very naughty (insert British accent). I drove home in a state of uneasiness. I alternated from giggling nervously and singing the wrong words to a song. When I got home, my father-in-law had arrived for the weekend. I breathed a sigh of relief. I realized my husband couldn't very well blast me in front of his father once he saw the perfectly painted toes. He did see them and asked how much it cost me. I just looked at him sheepishly and said, "I couldn't help it. The devil made me do it." To all you hard-working moms out there, I heartily recommend at least a yearly pedicure if you can get away with it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I got my first pedicure this year in TN with my sis. Now I want to take my oldest with me for a mommy daughter day. You don't think she is too young do you? I think it would be awesome!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...