Skip to main content

My Own Mr. Knightley

I know. I'm so typical, but I can't help it. Jane Austen is my favorite author. What a surprise. The thing is...I can't decide which of her works is my favorite. I just love them all. Emma struck a cord within me, though. When I read it the first time a few years ago, I had a hard time getting through the beginning. I will now confess to something that would be considered blasphemy by those diehard Austen fans.....I didn't like Emma, the character. I realize now that I certainly needed to broaden my horizons, but at the time I was still a little stupid, so I just didn't get it. I was the kind of reader who believed that the main character should have no glaring faults. The kind of character that you agree with all the time and root for from beginning to end. How boring is that? I was determined to wade through the muddy waters to finally see that in the end Emma becomes the character I wanted to see from the beginning. I didn't realize that a good character needs to grow. I then found out something that confused me and made me think harder about this character. Emma was Jane Austen's favorite character. How could this be? Emma was a manipulative, prideful, and arrogant woman. How in the world could she be her favorite? A few years later, I read the book again and watched the movie with Gwyneth Paltrow. Since I had more experience with less than wonderful characters in other books, I began to see a connection between myself and the less than perfect Emma. I also began seeing a connection between Emma and Mr. Knightley. Without Mr. Knightley, would Emma have seen what she was doing and stopped herself in time? I'm not sure. He was a guiding hand and not always a gentle one. Emma needed to be shaken out of her own world. I didn't understand how they could come together in the end after so many arguments and it seemed to me that Mr. Knightley didn't like Emma and could not respect her ways. I then realized that indeed he had to have loved her greatly in order to help her understand that what she was doing was wrong indeed. He also knew she was capable of being a good woman and knew she had redeeming qualities. I realized how alike Emma and I are and if she can redeem herself in the end, then maybe there is hope for me with my own Mr. Knightley to guide me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...