Skip to main content

Jingle Bells for Easter

It was sunrise on Easter morning. My bladder woke me up as usual, but before I went into the bathroom I wanted to look out the window. I blinked. I even squinted my eyes, but the snow kept coming down. I whispered, "Crap. It's snowing on Easter." I eventually stumbled back to bed only to realize that going back to sleep was a lost cause. I lay there remembering past Easters. All of my memories of Easter did not even come close to this wintery morning. As my husband and I are getting ready for church, I complain about the weather. I said, "They should put Easter later in the month to prevent this from happening! They changed the daylight savings time thingie!" My husband immediately puts on his "yeah, right" look and says something smart that I didn't take the time to wrap my brain around because I just wanted to complain for the sake of complaining. Anyway, I pull out our winter coats to cover all our pastel colors and trudge to church through the icky weather. After the service and some fellowship, we head outside to the still snowing day. Halfway home, Justin starts singing Jingle Bells and exclaiming how much he loves snow. I'm beginning to wonder if we skipped summer and fall all of a sudden. He continues to sing and then Caleb and Aidan join in, but it sounds like a children's choir warming up before the big performance. They sing at different pitches and at different times with different words. Finally, Nathanael couldn't take it anymore and yells, "Shut up!" After three more "shut ups" two seconds later, he forgot they were driving him nuts and started singing along with them. When we get home, I immediately start dinner preparations in the midst of my nausea and fatigue, but I was determined. We were going to have our traditional Easter dinner even if it was going to kill me. As the ham is heating up in the oven, the delicious smell started to spread through the house. Looking out the window, even Daddy couldn't resist singing Jingle Bells with the falling snow. After the egg hunt (indoors, of course), the plastic eggs full of candy mysteriously disappeared while the oblivious mom finished dinner in the kitchen. Finally, it's dinner time and the only one with an appetite is Dad. After our family movie, I trudge upstairs like walking through sand to my bed. Minutes later, the door bangs open and in walks Aidan. With a welcoming smile and hug, he lays down on the pillow next to mine. After much tossing and turning he finally settles down and falls asleep. Listening to my son's even breathing, I finally felt permission to completely zonk out for the rest of the night. My last thought was, "Happy Easter to all! And to all a good night!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can hear all of your boys singing it. That is so funny.

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...