Skip to main content

Curse of the Doorbell

When I think of home, I think of it as a place where I can be myself. I can kick off my shoes and go barefoot. I don't have to put on makeup or fix my hair. I can even wear pajamas till noon if I wanted to. The point for me is to have a comfort zone.

Of course, most days I wouldn't even sit on my front porch looking the way I do. My hair looks like it got into a fight with the cat most of the time and I usually smell of baby poop and Pine Sol.

That is why I run and hide when the doorbell rings.

When I was a teenager, we lived right smack dab next to the church that my dad pastored. Our house was always a magnet for those who just wanted to pop over and say hi. For some reason, no one ever thought of calling first and giving us a head's up.

Thus, people usually found us in some sort of disarray whether it be in the form of shoes piled up at the front door or a towel wrapped around my mother's head. It was hard on my mom to live in such a prominent place. Like me, she needs her down time. This was hard to find considering the doorbell rang often. The thing I remember a lot about my mom is her running for the bedroom whenever someone came over unannounced. Who wants to greet one of their parishioners with wet hair?

To this day, whenever I hear the doorbell ring, my immediate reaction is to stop whatever I'm doing and run for the bedroom.

I have tried to carry on this tradition with my sons. The boys love to run to the window and pull back the curtains to see who is at the door. Concerned that anyone would think we are home, I whisper furiously, "Get away from the windows! Don't make a sound!" I accompany this warning with one of my "mommy's dead serious" looks. My eyes narrow to slits and my mouth hardens and they always look at me as if I were going insane.

Of course, the van is always sitting in the driveway, but that never occurs to me at first. Then, checking to see if it is anyone I know, I usually see a UPS truck sitting at the end of the drive. Feeling like a fool, I answer the door. I'm sure that every time I greet a delivery man he takes one look at me and feels sorry for the man of the house.

At one time, I was expecting a delivery, so I was a little more layed-back about the doorbell. Too layed back. During the time when Happy was being potty-trained, I had him naked from the waist down.

Can you see where this is going yet?

The kid opened the front door to greet the unsuspecting delivery man before I could get to the door myself.

The child had a tongue-lashing he will never forget.

I do like my privacy and comfort zone, but I think I may be becoming a paranoid schizophrenic. Especially since the doorbell has been ringing unremittantly since the neighbor boy discovered playmates.

Comments

Unknown said…
Laugh my head off!!! That poor UPS driver probably couldn't get the visual out of his head for days! Hahahahaha.

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...