Skip to main content

Beautiful Smile

My son, Bashful is going to be 11 in March. It won't be long and he will be mad at the world....for a long time. Even now, it is hard to get a genuine smile out of the kid due to his bashful nature and when it happens, it takes him off-guard and he tries to hide it with his hand. So, I try to get one out of him as much as possible.

A few nights ago, we were having the usual conversation at dinner. I was telling them to eat their food, and they were making excuses.

I had made a fabulous vegetable beef soup with flaky biscuits and as usual they were being picky.

Of course, there was no way they were going near those vegetables, so I tried another tactic in order to fool them into eating.

I said, "If you eat your vegetables, it is a sign that you are entering manhood."

Of course, it was a load of crap, but I was desperate to teach my boys how to eat healthily.

I left it at that and we continued with our family time. A little while later, I noticed Bashful scraping his bowl leaving behind only the tomatoes. He said they were a fruit, so he didn't have to eat them.

I wasn't going to be picky and I congratulated him for becoming a man. Out pops that sweet, bashful smile that he always tries to hide and covered with his hand even then. I told him I am proud of him and he left the table with his head held high.

The sweet, beautiful smile of his is going to bring some woman to her knees someday, Lord help her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...