Skip to main content

The Way of All Drinking Glasses

We don't have a good track record with drinking glasses in this house. It is a given that we will eventually end up with no glasses in the house. We usually have to scrounge around for something to drink in and end up using the coffee cups. At least twice a year, I have to buy new glasses. There are various reasons why it ends up this way. The biggest reason is probably me since the boys don't even drink from them and use plastic cups instead. I have a reputation in our home as being a total clutz. Either my elbow or my fingers come in contact with the unsuspecting object and bam! I end up sweeping the floor. The scenario starts out with me cleaning up the kitchen. As I see the glass begin to fall to the floor, everything slows down to slow motion. My eyes widen, my mouth opens, and out comes a wail. "Noooooo!" is followed by a growl and a banging of the fists on the kitchen counter. I get very upset with myself and the boys know by now to scatter in all directions when that happens. Another way the glasses break is when they are left in the sink and someone will throw something on top of it. Then I am left with cleaning up broken glass in the sink. This weekend, I went to the store to get new drinking glasses. I had procrastinated on this, but after using coffee cups at dinner for the umpteenth time, I was finally fed up. I came home after my trip to the store and collapsed on the couch. I did my ordering of the unloading of the van from there like Queen Bee on her throne. Things were going well when all of a sudden I heard a crash outside. Aidan had seen what happened and came immediately to tell me that Caleb dropped something. I knew what it was. The dang glasses hadn't even gotten in the house without one of them coming to its end. I know that these new glasses will eventually find their end in the trash can. It seems to be tradition.

Comments

Andrea said…
Dee,
It sounds like you spend a small fortune on glasses. Very funny.

BTW, I love your October book of the month. I love that the book is written by Gonn (pronounced "Gun"--I heard a radio interview with him) and Hal--such manly names. Perhaps Gonn will go into the running for our new little man. I ordered the book as soon as I heard of it. There's few things less tasteful to me than a boy who hasn't been given the opportunity to pursue all the boyish arts. I knew a boy growing up whose mommy put him in ballet and kept him spotlessly clean. He always gave me the creeps.
Anonymous said…
You know they have plastic that looks fancy like glass. You could invest in those. hee, hee. just kiddin'

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 20 Clean Romance Movies Of All Time

I'm really picky when it comes to romantic movies. I prefer them clean and it's really hard to find those kind of romance movies these days. Nowadays, romantic movies are chock full of butts, boobs, and beds. Just sayin'. I was bored one day and decided to google the top romance movies of all time. You have got to be kidding me. One list had Brokeback Mountain on it. Pulease. I was, in fact, so disgusted by all of the lists that I came across that I decided to make my own. I decided to call it The Top 16 Clean Romance Movies of All Time, well, because I couldn't think of anymore to make it an even top 20. Now, my list might be different from most people. I said I was picky. First, I don't like b***** women. That scratches out a whole pile of popular movies. One of them being Gone With The Wind. Does anyone besides me want to smack that woman? Second, I don't like it when the couple end up in bed together. Uh, I don't really need to know, thankyouverymuch. Th...

Pregnant vs. Just Plain Fat

Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. I was feeling particularly bubbly that day and it must have showed. As everyone tells me to say hi to my boys for them, the consultant asks, "How many boys do you have?" I said, "Four," and she asked, "And one on the way?" I gave her a blank stare. How in the world did she guess? I am only about a month along. As everyone congratulates me, I am still in shock. I hadn't planned on anyone knowing for at least two more months. As I'm driving home, I realize that it could have gone badly. What if I hadn't been pregnant? That led to more thinking and here's how it went: Those of you who don't even start showing until your fourth month- I hate you. Those of you who don't get the kind of morning sickness that lasts all day every day for four months- I hate you. Those of you who don't go through a nightmare of pain without medication during labor- I ...

Homecoming Queen

I was sitting in a McDonald's sipping on my drink surrounded by teenagers. I was in my early 20s, so I wasn't at the point yet where teenagers drove me insane. My husband and I had been appointed to babysit the youth group during that time in our lives, and it struck me as funny since they were the same age as my youngest brother. They were good kids and liked to have a fun time as teenagers always do. As I'm sipping on my drink talking with them, one of them looks at me and says, "You were popular in high school, weren't you?" I almost spewed Sprite on the girl. "What gave you that impression?" I exclaimed. "You just seem like you were popular," she said. I stared off into space and shuddered as I remembered the horrific days of public high school. I was the one who took my diploma and waved good-bye to high school forever never to return. If I could have gone through it all with a magic invisibility cloak like Harry Potter, I definitely w...